Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Big Give


They hold up half the sky, make the human food chain work, contribute implacably to human-kind...

Many, Many people give inexplicably. But with a little thought, I chose a specific group of people to target for The-Big-(little)-Give that I was inspired to undertake. Let me explain.

About my target group:

-they work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
-They don't get a raise for a job well done; in-fact, they don't get paid at all
-They are responsible for life in a way that is more direct then doctors and nurses combined
-They are responsible for entire societies and nations
-Besides their main role they have a myriad of side duties including nutrition manager, education consultant, house-keeper, chauffeur, and counselor.
-In the developing world such a people group are "marginalized" and are considered "an expendable commodity." *1
-If they get together for a staff party, they have to plan it themselves
-Globally, these people die during a critical time of entering their essential role, at a rate of about 1500 every day. Most of these deaths are avoidable. (World Health Organization)
-They are irreplaceable
-Sometimes they feel very isolated
-They have existed from the beginning of humanity
-Globally, there is minimal political emphasis placed on their well-being
-In general, they are very talented human's with a huge capacity for love from which they give of themselves generously and without fail...

I want to get these people together and empower them. I want to remind them that they're not alone. I want to tell them that they're doing a great job, and feed them lots of yummy food and do some fun things with them and give them a chance to express how they're feeling. I want to inspire them in a small action of international community and remind them of the things that bring them together, all around the world.

...more to come...

*1 The words of Dr. Catherine Hamlin, a gynecologist and fistula surgeon practicing in Ethiopia. Quoted from: Half the Sky, pg 98, by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, Copyright 2009


2 comments:

  1. To say that I'm intrigued would be an understatement. I can guess which people-group you're referring to, but how you'd Give to them for under $20 is beyond me.

    I seriously can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great support information!!! Is it about....?? OK, I guess I won't ruin the surprise in case I actually guessed which your target group is...it does sound great though and, as Mel said, I also look forward to seeing how you manage to do that with the given budget!
    :D

    ReplyDelete